Sunday, June 4, 2017

Clarifications on the update email

Recently I took an unprecedented step and sent out an email encouraging all my active software users to update their Windows operating system and NET to 4.7

So today, this entry, will be about Windows update and .NET 4.7.


Now Windows 2000 and XP are ancient operating systems and I trying to ensure my apps run on many versions of Windows since 2013.

However, it is impeding progress as some of the latest improvements are available in Windows 10 Creator Edition as the default .NET 4.7 is installed.  

These improvements are for very high definition monitors.  Generally most laptops or desktops are using 120 dpi (dots per inch), the very high end laptops sport 200-300 dpi screens.

For example, .NET Framework 4.7 is supported on the following Windows versions:

  • Windows 10 Creators Update (included in-box)
  • Windows 10 Anniversary Update
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 7 SP1
Therefore if you are on any of the Windows operating system listed above, you will just need to get the latest .NET 4.7!

In addition, miscreants or opportunists are targeting users who do not patch their Windows operating systems to introduce malware or ransomware.  To avoid falling prey to these low life forms, please patch your Windows operating system using WiFI links and stay alert.

FAQ
Do I need to upgrade to Windows 10 to run the apps?
No.  You are fine with Windows 7, 8.x or 10.

How do I patch or update my Windows operating system?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/311047/how-to-keep-your-windows-computer-up-to-date

How do I update my .NET frameworks?
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2017/05/02/announcing-the-net-framework-4-7-general-availability/

What is so great about .NET 4.7 frameworks on Windows 10 Creator Edition?
There are some improvements for ultra high definition monitors e.g 3200x2048 at 300 dpi as many user interface elements will be drawn correctly.

Do you continue to support Windows XP or Windows 2000 platform?
Honestly I have not see any users on XP or Windows 2000 since 2015.  It will be on 'best effort' basis.

1 comment:

Dorky said...

Dear Brother Keong,
Are you the writer of asabovesobelow108.wordpress.com?
Is there any way you can help me do a personal tzu wei reading?
I will compensate you your effort.

How can I contact you thru email?